Things to Consider Before You Leave

Learning Agreement. To avoid ambiguity in the recognition of study achievements abroad, it is recommended that a learning agreement be drawn up and signed before departure. (If you receive a PROMOS scholarship, this is mandatory). To do this, first go to the appropriate course representative (learning outcomes, contents, performance measurement, credit points, semester credit hours) and the form “Planning the Course Program and Recognition” to the relevant specialist representative or person responsible for the module and get his signature on the form. Then transfer the confirmed courses to the Learning Agreement for Studies outside EU form and have the responsible Learning Agreement coordinator sign.

If the ability to recognize a foreign performance can not be confirmed before the start of the study abroad due to missing or insufficient course description, the student can contribute this achievement in the elective area or the free credit points. Alternatively, he / she can teach the required information immediately after starting the study abroad and have the eligibility of the acquired service checked and confirmed by the respective specialist representative (by e-mail). Information about the detailed procedure on site and the procedure of the recognition process will be given to you at an exit event of the IO.

Health Insurance. There are Health Centers at most American universities for easier illnesses. The user fee is obligatory to pay with the semester fees; In addition, costs for special services may be incurred. For the more extensive treatments, the host university usually offers an American group insurance, which however leaves certain risks (pre-contractual conditions, home transport costs, often also dental or ophthalmological treatment, glasses and the like) uncovered. In some universities, such insurance is required (please note the information in the individual program tenders). 

Private insurance companies can usually offer an additional contract with foreign protection. In any case, the conclusion of a private health insurance is urgently recommended. The cost of a twelve-month insurance cover (depending on the provider) about € 300- € 350. Thus, one must discuss with own health insurance, which is the best way in the individual case.

Visa and health documents. The US University, if it accepts the application, will send in May / June a form for presentation to the consulate on the basis of which the visa is issued. Certain conditions are linked to this residence status, in particular: proper study and no off-campus employment.

Health and Vaccination Certificates Both the immigration and US university admissions and enrollment offices are increasingly demanding higher levels of health documents. Thus, e.g. have certain vaccinations for accommodation in the dorm or for course registration. An early look at the website of the Health Center of the respective university is definitely worthwhile. It should be noted that the responsibility for careful consideration of relevant information in application forms and leaflets lies with the exchange participants.

Since January 2003, the student and exchange visitor information system (SEVIS) has been used to centrally manage the data of foreign students during their stay in the United States. The data collection information was previously stored in individual databases by each university, while the host universities now electronically transfer the data to a central location, designated by the U.S. Government supervised database. From there, the data of the foreign students arrive, e.g. to the consulates responsible for issuing the visa.